Thursday, February 26, 2009

Great white lie

On my favorite sitcom Arrested Development, one character Maebe lies for fun. At the tender age of 14 she takes a tour of a studio lot and through a hilarious series of events, convinces everyone that she's a studio head. Sometimes she quips "Okay, now I'm just lying for no reason...."

I have never been much of a liar. I was always told that it's easier to tell the truth because it always comes out in the end. I guess my qualm with all that has always been defining the difference between lying and twisting the truth. What's a white lie here and there if the truth doesn't matter anyway? Ignorance is bliss?

BF: "When did you stay at the Clarion?!?!?"

B.: "Uh...isn't that an eye drop?!!"

I'm such a bad liar.

I've never lied on a resume. It really only hurts yourself if you lie on a resume because then you're unable to complete a task you said you capable of. I have worded things in a way that makes me sound more special than I am. But is that lying?



"The truth needs so little rehearsal." -Barbara Kingsolver

1 comment:

Allie McKenna said...

I loved that episode!

"Marry me!"